Thursday, February 28, 2008

From Dayna Martin in New Hampshire

I met Lisa at the 2006 Northeast Unschooling Conference. Her confidence and love for her children were such an inspiration to me. When our family first arrived at the conference, the first person I noticed was Fire, and this interaction set the tone for the entire weekend for me. It was so admirable to me that a parent would honor their child's request to go by a name of their choosing. Although it may seem like a small thing, it brought me to a new level of understanding of respect for my children.

Over a year ago my daughter Dakota informed us that she wanted to be called "Tiffany." So many people, both family and friends, told us that we shouldn't honor our daughter's request . I never swayed from my knowing that respecting my daughter in this way was the right thing to do. I always remembered the respect that Lisa had for her daughter Ruby to be called "Fire," and her respect empowered me to honor Dakota (a/k/a Tiffany) in the same unwavering way. I may not have had such clarity on the issue if it wasn't for Lisa.

This is just one of many ways that Lisa inspired me over the years. She touched so many during her life. I am very grateful that she touched ours.

Dayna Martin

No comments: