Thursday, February 28, 2008

From Ren Allen in Tennessee

I was looking through all my Northeast Unschooling conference photos, scouring them for signs of Lisa. I found a couple really nice ones. A smiling, happy one of her and Larry and couple of her hanging out at my ATC funshop making cards. She had her name tag with the attachment at the bottom that read "plays well with others." That's Kathryn's bit of zing there.

"Plays well with others." That she did. She played well with LIFE. She seemed fearless and life-full. I don't know that I ever saw her without that huge smile and a contagious laugh. You felt better for having been in her presence.

I wrote Marji to ask about sending cards and well-wishes during her difficult health crisis. It was too late. I never got a chance to tell her I was thinking about her in this challenging time. I never sent her copies of the conference photos. We talked regularly at the unschooling lists, but that was always about unschooling, not about telling her the things I wished I'd told her.

So in honor of Lisa I want to tell people how beautiful they are. I want to send copies of photos and hand-written notes and let people in my life know they are appreciated. I want to celebrate the lives around me more completely. Thank you, Lisa, for this poignant reminder.

Thank you for being you.
Thank you for being my friend.
You are missed deeply.


With much love,

Ren


P.S. I meant to send this along too...it was so cool. This Storypeople quote was in my email this morning. I think it exemplifies Lisa's entire family:

This is a creature on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing, instead of the whole world.

No comments: