Friday, February 29, 2008

From Sharon Emerson in New York

Hello Marji,

I was so sad to hear the news of Lisa's passing. I have sat in front of my computer several times trying to think of what to say.

I met Lisa at the L&L Unschooling conference this past Sept. 2007. I thoroughly enjoyed her presentation. I also had an opportunity to talk with her on the couch for a while after her presentation in the BRC [Blue Ridge Center, a building at the site of the conference]. She was just amazing with her wisdom, passion, and compassion.

Something I really appreciated about her was that she listened to me asking questions during some of the round table discussions. Then, during one of the speakers, I blurted out one of my fears about television viewing. She happened to be sitting behind me knitting, and she tapped me on the shoulder. Then she said to me that I need to let go of my fear regarding my daughter. It just hit me so profoundly at that moment that I began crying. I literally felt the fear melting away from me through my tears.

Lisa also offered to talk with me later and offered me her email address. I didn't pursue her after the speaker ended, because we got caught up in other things.

However, I did reconnect with her when I joined RUNNY [Radical Unschoolers in NY email list]. She was so encouraging of me to drive down from Albany to the monthly unschooling meetings. For several reasons I didn't make it down this fall or winter, but I was looking forward to seeing her and meeting others from the group once spring came.

I feel so sad that I will not get to see her again and gain more wisdom from her. A few months ago I mentioned an issue I was having with my son on the RUNNY group. Her response was just what I needed to hear. It was so full of acceptance and compassion. The main part of her message was "acceptance in place of expectations." I just love that! I repeat that to myself a lot and to my friends and husband.

Thank you, Marji, for providing the forum for me to express my gratitude and unforgettable impact that Lisa had on my life and the life of my family. I only knew her for a brief moment, but it was a life changing experience for me.

With love,
Sharon Emerson

No comments: