Wednesday, February 27, 2008

From Robyn Coburn in California

I did not know Lisa very well, although I enjoyed reading her posts over time. I had watched her daughters growing up in the series of snapshots that the Live and Learn conferences give us. Then last September, partly because Roxy was James' fairy god parent, I finally had the chance to properly meet Lisa. We sat together for at least one entertaining meal and we also spent some time sitting on the cushy sofas in the foyer talking about unschooling of course, and some other little things we had in common.

I was so attracted to how fearless she seemed. I admired how forthright and no-nonsense, how "New-Yorker blunt" she was in the way she spoke. She described the process prospective members of her support group must follow before being allowed to join it. I was blown away by her intellectual clarity and determination to create a real radical unschooling community around her.

I had wanted the chance to get to know her better. I thought I would have time.

In my self-centered sadness last night I started scouring the lists for her posts. My admiration was re-awakened as I read more of her kind and insightful advice, more of her story. I was touched by her humility, and humbled by her generosity. So many of her posts end with an invitation.

Her light has gone out too soon, but it still blazes in the on-line archives of our wider unschooling community. Her voice was loud and beautiful, especially when she told us of her uncompromising love and esteem for her family.

Here is my favorite Lisa quote, from quite recently replying to someone concerned about doing "enough work" with their kids:

I would say what you need to don't do is have an expectation of 'work,' but an attitude of appreciation and gratitude for every moment you have with your kids. Ultimately the idea of 'work' dissipates when you are in a state of appreciation and joy.

No comments: