Wednesday, February 27, 2008

From Melissa Gray in Oklahoma

I first met Lisa at the L&L conference in New Mexico, and I was so delighted to meet someone so outspoken and friendly. It was hard being at our first conference and not sure what to expect.

Last year, North Carolina was different, in that it was our second conference. I will always have the memory of getting there early, and the night before the conference running into her family outside the BRA. Just chatting and having fun, until Sam dropped his newest find off the side of the building onto the roof of the storage shed underneath.

Oh, goodness, it was a travesty, saved only by the compassion and understanding of all the people around us. Roxy empathized with Sam, while Fire and her friends started brainstorming ways to knock his little collection off the roof. Sticks and stones and backpacks, everyone working hard to find a way to save the day. And Lisa behind us all, cheering us on and keeping everything positive.

Ben Lovejoy found an umbrella that almost reached, and Marty Dodd managed to hit it with some rocks, knocking it sooo close to the edge. Somehow it finally came down, cheers lifted into the mountains, and it was so thrilling to be part of this family, this group, that could come together and work so hard to save the heart of a 5-year-old boy.

Whenever I think of that moment, I think of Lisa. I wish there was some way I could fly from Oklahoma to celebrate the living and laughing and Love of Lisa. But instead my prayers will fly, and my thanks, to her family, and to her spirit.

Melissa
Mom to Joshua, Breanna, Emily, Rachel, Samuel, Daniel and Avari
Wife to Zane

No comments: