Tuesday, February 26, 2008

From Debbie Eaton in New York

I just thought that I would say a couple of things, although writing about Lisa as though she’s gone is certainly not something that I was thinking would be happening – at least not at this relatively early hour in my life. This was a shock to a large community of people – wives, husbands and kids as most of you well know, and Lisa played a large, loving part in those communities. I know that many of us are having a difficult time getting our heads around the fact that we will never see her again although I know that her spirit is here.

My heart goes out to Barbara (Lisa’s mother), Larry (her dear husband), Rox and Ruby (her dear daughters) – those that I know in Lisa’s immediate family - for to lose a daughter, wife and mother at such a young age is so incredibly difficult.

Lisa was part of a wonderful parenting group that my kids and I belonged to from practically the day my first dear son was born which is 15 years ago. That group met every two weeks, and Lisa was always great about organizing events to get us all together responding to the needs and desires of her husband and girls and those of the greater community. She was always asking questions, trying to deeply understand and glean the truth about things. Her ability to articulate what she had gleaned was very helpful to others. Roxanne, Ruby, and my two boys, John and Michael, have been together off and on since they were literally babes in arms.

Lisa went on to practice a radical philosophy of education that was difficult in this day and age with the support and caring of her loving husband, Larry. She was always there to give really great advice about the things that she believed, and she gave an incredible amount of herself. She was looked to many times for wisdom about being a wife and mother for she had done some incredibly thorough thinking about the issues that all parents grapple with, and she had a wonderful way of expressing her thoughts.

I’m fairly sure that Lisa would not want us to spend a lot of time grieving for her. I know that she would want us to remember the good things about her and what she left us with. She was an inspiration, and even when she was ill, she would try to bless people with her knowledge, vulnerability, openness, curiosity, and uplifting nature. She truly wanted to help people and most of all to be there for those who needed her love and support.

Lisa, you are already sorely missed. Thanks for all you did here on this planet for and with us.

No comments: